Friday, September 9, 2011

Why "Spoonsful of Honey?"


First, because Mary Poppins was a MASTERPIECE.

You laugh, you cry, your resolve to be a better person in less than two hours and that's basically what I want in entertainment.

But despite the title (are you proud that I didn't say "eponymous?), the hero's Bert. The part when Bert explains everything to Mr. Banks without explaining everything to Mr. Banks gets me every time. "Tricked you into taking the children on an outing? Outrageous!...You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone/Though childhood slips like sand through a sieve/And all too soon they've up and grown/And then they've flown/And it's too late for you to give/Just that spoonful of sugar, to 'elp the medicine go down...".

Life is hard. If parents don't train, we risk "moral disintegration" and "a ghastly mess," to stick with the movie. It is because of, not in spite of, this that I am anxious to give the spoonsful of sugar to help the medicine go down.

I believe the beauty and joy we find in childhood sets patterns for our lives. I want so (SO!) badly for the Treasure and the Sweetie to have beautiful childhoods, and when everyone said they would grow up fast I didn't realize how fast fast could be.... So the name of the blog was going to be Spoonsful of Sugar, and my focus finding and recording those moments.

(Note: Originally I thought a young mom shouldn't have a blog--let's just say I've seen a few too many birthday parties that were being thrown for a post moreso than a child. But I want to do this FOR my babies, to create for myself a mental focus on creating these opportunities. And besides: if a tree bathes and does everyone's hair in a forest and no one comes over that day to see it, did the family really look cute? I submit that we did not.)

Spoonsful of Sugar was taken. I was disappointed, but noticed my identity as "Honey"--because my name means Honeybee. And maybe Spoonsful of Honey is better--because I also feel that I am coming to the thought that anything my teenies get from me will necessarily be, above all else, authentic to me (for better or for worse!). Otherwise it wouldn't get to them--teenies being too smart and all. So it's sugar, but it's very specifically my sugar. And though it's raw and unrefined, a lot of work and love went into it, and it's golden. And hopefully sticky. So that's perfect. And now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment